If your life depends on technology, you better read her report cover to cover. Kleiner Perkins partner Mary Meeker’s yearly Internet Trends report is the ultimate compilation of essential tech statistics. Encompassing everything from funding climate to smartphone adoption to the tech giants to cutting-edge inventions, the Mary Meeker Internet Trends report has it all.
Here are some of the key highlights from her report:
- India is now leading in smartphone/Internet growth. India has 232 million Internet users, up 37% in the last year. It added 63 million users in 2014. Its growth curve mirrors that of the United States a few years ago, and China more recently. The top Android app is WeChat.
- Smartphone adoption’s growth is slowing, while Android increases marketshare despite a shrinking average selling price
- Video viewership is exploding, with Snapchat and Facebook Live showing the way, though video ads aren’t always effective
- Messaging is dominated by Facebook and WeChat, it’s growing rapidly, and evolving from simple text communication to become our new home screen with options for vivid self-expression and commerce
- US advertising is growing, with Google and Facebook controlling 76% of the market and rising, but advertisers still spend too much on legacy media rather than new media where the audience has shifted
- Meeker predicts the rise of voice interfaces because they’re fast, easy, personalized, hands-free, and cheap, with Google on Android now seeing 20% of searches from voice, and Amazon Echo sales growing as iPhone sales slow
- The USA could become the home of the auto industry again thanks to innovation from Tesla and Google despite US auto sales slipping since 1950, though car ownership will fall as Uber/UberPool sharing becomes mainstream
- China’s internet trends look better than the US, while internet giants around the world continue to grow more powerful
- Non-tech giants are acquiring tech companies to fuel growth and transition to digital as data becomes the next big platform thanks to so many devices capturing it
Author can be followed on Twitter : @IamAmmarr